Heavyset on the outside, St John the Baptist Church, is light and airy inside. The Church was built in about 1839 in a 12th century style to replace a smaller church dating from the 14th century located in the centre of the village of Charlton. The position of the new Church – at the crossroads of the current A30 – was chosen to make the Church more accessible to worshippers in Ludwell and the Coombes, whilst continuing to be close enough for those in Charlton.
St John’s was awarded Bronze Eco Church status in summer 2023
Being part of a two-church parish with St Mary’s in neighbouring Donhead St Mary, St John’s does not have a service every week.
- 1st Sunday of the month – 11am, Family Eucharist
- 2nd Friday of the month – 10am, Friday Eucharist
- 3rd Sunday of the month – 11am, Family Service
- 5th Sunday of the month – 11am, Benefice Eucharist
As ever, though, make sure to check the calendar in case this pattern has been superseded by a special event.
Regular Community Events
- 2nd Tuesday of the month – 10:30-12noon, Pop-up cafe in St John’s Church
St John’s Church
(*Google maps insists it is SP7 9BS for some reason, so take care with your satnav)